Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Anxious about Public Speaking

So, I know the Bible tells us to not be anxious for anything. However, I think public speaking should be an exception. Just kidding. One of my struggles has always been speaking in front of others. Right before speaking my palms get sweaty, my heart beats rapidly, my mind goes blank and then, my only prayer is "God please speak through me." Is'nt it amazing how faithful and timely He answers our prayers. Tonight, I had the privilege of speaking to a local church about our ministry. I along with 4 other missionaries had the joy of sharing about God's work in our city. Although my heart rate rises exponentially the day of a speaking engagement, there is nothing I love more than talking about our Savior! However, when my focus in on myself and not on Him, anxiety within my heart becomes very present.
Having a fear of speaking in front of others has reminded me of my dependence on the Lord. Sadly, I don't always think of my inadequacies until I am faced to function in an area of weakness. Such awareness has lead me to now prayerfully and practically cultivate an attitude of dependence upon the Lord, that even when I function in the things that I am "skilled" at doing, I still want to be mindful that "all things are from Him and through Him and to Him." I don't want to only be aware of my dependence on Christ in my weaknesses.

"He does not delight in the strength of the horse; He takes no pleasure in the legs of a man. The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him, In those who hope in His mercy." (Psalms 147:10-11)

1 comment:

TJ Walker said...

unlike in Biblical days, it's now easy to rehearse on video. If you do this enough, you will never be nervous.